- Each competitor drinks four cans of beer and runs four laps (course will be marked) (start - beer, then lap, then beer, then lap, then beer, then lap, then beer, then lap - finish).
- Beer must be consumed before the lap is begun, within the transition area.
- The race begins with the drinking of the first beer in the last meter of the transition zone to ensure the competitors run a complete mile (1609 meters).
- Beer cans must not be tampered with in any manner, ie. no shotgunning or puncturing of the can except for opening the can by the tab at the top. No straws or other aids are allowed in order to aid in the speed of pouring.
- Beer must be a minimum of 5% alcohol by volume.
- Each beer can must not be opened until the competitor enters the transition zone on each lap.
- Competitors who vomit before they finish the race must complete one penalty lap at the end of the race (immediately after the completion of their 4th lap). Note: Vomiting more than once during the race still requires only one penalty lap at the end. * It is strongly recommended, when attempting official records, to tip the empty beer can or bottle over your head at the end of a chug to verify an empty vessel.
- If you have not completed your fourth beer and began your last quarter mile lap by 30 minutes after your wave has started you will be removed from the course to allow staff to prepare for the next wave.